I got tagged again. First, let me tell you that although I can’t imagine people being interested in finding out these things about me, all the people I’m tagging are people I want to know weird stuff about. Three are relatives and two are not. Not that it makes a difference. If I could pick some relatives, I would pick C jane and Elizasmom.
INSTRUCTIONS: Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.
What were you doing 10 years ago? Let’s see. I was just about to turn 22… ah yes, that’s right. I was still recovering from jet-lag during my first week in the Philippines, on a mission for my church. I was pretending to speak Tagalog, marvelling at how humidity really, really changes the way you perceive heat, and trying to tame my hair, and calm my poor, abused skin. I had shoulder length, straight hair when I left Utah, but over the first few weeks in Echague, my hair started to frizz in a most alarming way. After about 3 months, I cut it to chin length and started using some gel, and suddenly I had movie-star perfect curly hair. When I came back to Utah, it frizzed again, then went flat like before. Now you know why I cut it all off.
My skin also took on this lovely swollen, blotchy look. And I got devoured by the mosquitoes from the knees down. My calves were covered with scabs for about a month. When I left my first area, one of the people I had met there told me, “You were very ugly when you came here, but now you are pretty!”
And the people in that area, whom I had know for 2 weeks, gave me a birthday party, complete with a birthday banner and fish wrapped in banana leaves and grilled in the fire.
What were you doing 1 year ago? Puking. I was 3 months pregnant, and my pregnancies are not pleasant. They only get worse for the whole 9 months. I was also trying to plant the garden, so I went out for about 2 hours every day to plant and weed. I planted 28 tomato plants, which, by the end of the summer, were totally overgrown with weeds, since I could no longer bend over to pull them.
Five snacks you enjoy:
- Spiced nuts. I don’t keep these handy, because I eat them all.
- Home-made whole wheat bread with butter and honey. This I love.
- Chips and fresh salsa. A staple in my family since forever.
- Popcorn. Especially Bon’s popcorn.
- Candy. Any kind except hard candy. My favorites are jelly beans, swedish fish, M&Ms, black licorice, marshmallow peeps, orange marshmallow peanuts, caramels, tootsie rolls, laffy taffy, hot tamales, mike & ikes, bit-o-honey, there’s not much I don’t like. Again, I don’t keep these things in the house. I don’t have the OFF button that tells me to stop eating candy. I just eat it until it’s gone. (I blame my dad, the only person I know who can subsist on a diet of chips and salsa, wheat thins, Fresca, and candy, and still maintain his 140 pounds.) (He runs a lot.) (More than anyone else you know.)
Five songs that you know all the lyrics:
Uh oh, here my nerdiness shines through. I know all the lyrics to La Cucaracha, the Spongebob Squarepants song (this is recent), I’m gettin’ nuttin’ for Christmas (or, as my Dad once sang it, “I’m gettin’ Mutton for Christmas, cause I ain’t been nuttin’ but BA-AA-AAAAD”), There are no mirrors in my Nana’s house, lots of folk songs and rounds, and The Glory of Love (Peter Cetera). Gosh, it was hard to narrow it down to five.
Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
- Give lots of money to Oxfam
- Start a bee farm.
- Take Derek to Europe
- Fund a renewable energy project
- Eat lots of chocolate
Five bad habits:
- Eating lots of chocolate
- Not cleaning the house
- Watching trash TV rented from Blockbuster for hours at a time
- Piling all my earthly possessions on the piano instead of putting them away
- Checking my email/blog comments at least twice an hour
Five things you like doing:
Five things you would never wear again:
- Leg warmers
- High heels
- A nursing bra (OK, looking into the near future, here)
- That pair of Wranglers from my Freshman year in college
- A sweater-vest
Five favorite toys:
- Sorry, I only have 4